by Golda Poretsky, HHC
As I mentioned last month, I was approached by Eucerin to write a few posts about Spring/Summer skin and provide some swag to a few lucky readers (and, full disclosure, myself) and I thought it might be fun to give it a go!
Apparently, May is Skin Cancer Awareness month (which, truthfully, I wasn’t aware of until now). I also didn’t realize that skin cancer and melanoma account for about 50% of all cancers.
The good news is, skin cancer is one of the most preventable cancers and the great majority of the time it’s caused by excessive sun exposure.
So here are a few of my favorite ways to protect your skin from too much sun.
1) Hats! – I’m no fashionista, but I believe that hats aren’t just for Blossom enthusiasts and royal wedding attendees anymore. Hats are lovely for protecting your face and scalp from sun exposure, and they can look rather awesome.
2) Beach Umbrellas — Growing up near Jones Beach in Long Island, I always think of beach umbrellas as being excessively heavy things that you rent and schlep for miles. But apparently, they make lighter weight ones now! (I have my eye on this one.) I’ve always loved beach umbrellas because they give you some shade, protect your skin, and keep you a little cooler than the shadeless folks around you.
3) Stay In When The Sun’s The Strongest — This may not work for when you’re at work and you take lunch at 1PM like everyone else. But if you’re doing something summery and vacationy, like going to the beach or traipsing around town, why not take a tip from the Spanish and take a nice siesta in the middle of the day? It’s much more pleasant to be at the beach or checking out shops in the morning or evening anyway.
4) SPF Stuff! — Definitely use products with sunscreen or a good sunscreen on its own if you plan to be outside for long. And, if you’re interested in some SPF swag, might I recommend the following…
- Go to the Eucerin Facebook Page to take the pledge, join the movement and share tips on how you plan to keep your skin safe this summer.
- Leave a comment below (with a valid email address) and a winner will be picked at random from the commenters on May 26th. The winner will receive a Prize Pack with Eucerin Everyday Protection SPF 15 Body Lotion and SPF 30 Face Lotion plus a Vera Bradley umbrella to help shield you from the sun and a matching cosmetic case to carry your SPF.
Full Disclosure: I’m receiving Eucerin products (for my readers and me). The thoughts and opinions, however, that I share in this post are strictly my own and are not influenced by receipt of these products.
AND THE WINNER IS