It’s Okay To Change Your Big Dreams

by Golda Poretsky, H.H.C. on December 29, 2014

dreamy moonscape

Image from justdd on 123rf.com

It’s been nearly five months since I’ve written a blog post.

For someone who used to write one every week, this certainly feels very weird.

A lot has changed for me in this last year. I got engaged, got married, and started a new “day job” working as a lawyer again. Because I’m working as a lawyer more, I slowed down my coaching practice quite a bit.

All of the changes feel really good to me at this stage in my life. But 10 or 8 or even 6 years ago, they might not have.

When I started my coaching practice in 2008, I had really big dreams. Dreams of reaching millions of people with a message of body love, making body love a household name, empowering thousands of people to love their bodies and get out of their own way when it came to self approval and their own happiness. I dreamed of working for myself forever; never having a boss or a day job, making a living from coaching.

Under different circumstances, it might have all worked out. Through constant promotion and word-of-mouth, I managed to make about three times what the average life coach made per year. Unfortunately, that was never enough for someone who lived in the NYC area and still had crushing law school loans. I was always almost making it work but I could never stop working. Even taking a week off was difficult for me. Living like this for 6 years was extremely stressful.

As time went on, my dreams changed. I love coaching and I hope to do it forever, but right now, I actually love my day job too. I work with really nice people and some of the nicest lawyers I’ve ever met in my life. I feel challenged and appreciated. I feel glad that I don’t have the option to work in my pajamas anymore. I feel relieved that I don’t need to keep up my social media presence quite so much. This past Chanukah/Christmas, I felt good that I was able to buy nice gifts for my friends and family without worrying about how I was going to also pay my rent in January.

And the thing is, I did achieve some of my old dreams. I probably reached a million people (or, at the very least, a few hundred thousand). I worked with thousands of people as private and group coaching clients. “Body Love” is indeed a household name in certain households, and I see it EVERYWHERE on the internet.

So in the spirit of my old blog, I’d like to leave you with something to think about this New Year. Do your big dreams “fit” anymore? Do you have some new dreams that you want to connect with? Have you maybe achieved some of your big dreams in ways you haven’t thought about? Let me know in the comments section below.

Happy New Year!

Get great body love tips and more when you subscribe:

Golda is a certified holistic health counselor and founder of Body Love Wellness, a program designed for plus-sized women who are fed up with dieting and want support to stop obsessing about food and weight. To learn more about Golda and her work, click here.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

@hopeevey January 1, 2015 at 6:00 am

She has an excellent message here :) http://t.co/aFIIhMciRa

Deb Lemire December 31, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Thanks for this Golda! perfect timing for me.

Angela Meadows (@NevrDietAgnUK) December 30, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I was just talking about this with a friend today, so this is very timely. Things change. It’s ok. Do what works… http://t.co/fT5Bo7qD1k

Deb Lemire December 30, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for this Golda! perfect timing for me.

Deb Lemire December 30, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Thanks for this Golda! perfect timing for me.

Anna Guest-Jelley December 29, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Happy for you, Golda!!

Amber Karnes December 29, 2014 at 7:31 pm

This post definitely resonates with me. I built my career around the internet, and now I’m wanting to have way, way less screen time. The next 5 years is about getting my husband through school, finding out where his job is going to land us, and then settling down with some combination of yoga/farm/B&B – I don’t know. I’ll get it figured out. Trying to remind myself that just because I can’t do it immediately doesn’t mean I’m not living authentically… I’m just doing what I need to do to get myself set up to do just that.

Pam Vanover (@preciousruby) December 29, 2014 at 3:54 pm

RT @bodylovewellnes: It’s Okay To Change Your Big Dreams http://t.co/fNVXV3Y9yz

Mike S. December 29, 2014 at 11:59 am

I completely understand and respect your decision. There are a few heroic causes I’d like to support – including this one – but I’m sticking with my unheroic day job because I can’t improve anything if I’m homeless.

Golda Poretsky, H.H.C. December 29, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for understanding, Mike! It’s true — in some ways I feel like I can better support things I believe in because I’m less stressed about money.

Jeffrey Schein December 29, 2014 at 12:47 pm

It’s so wonderful to be part of your current dream.