I still feel sad when I think about all of the years I spent hating my body. I still cringe when I think about some of the things I did to try to change my body, and all of the ways in which I acted against my own self interest when I believed my body was unlovable.
One of the many reasons why I’ve been doing this work for the last five years is that I want to spare others that pain. I want their journey to loving their bodies to be quicker and easier than it was for me.
A few months ago, I was asked to speak about Health At Every Size and body love at this TEDx event. As part of my preparation, I’ve been watching other people’s TED talks, looking at what seems to work about their talks and what doesn’t.One of the things that struck me is that I’m going to this event trying to represent a piece of a much bigger movement.
This work that we’re doing together is, obviously, so much bigger than me, and so much bigger than the community of bloggers, researchers and writers. It’s really about people, like many of you reading this post, who are just trying to live their lives as free as possible from weight oppression and the diet paradigm. It’s about people who want to wear a swimsuit to the pool and have a great time with their family. It’s about people who want feel confident enough in their body to ask for a raise, or a date, or a boundary they need respected.
In short, it’s about you. So I want you to be a part of my TEDx talk.
All you need to do is submit a picture of yourself holding a sign that says, “I embrace Body Love because ____________” and fill in the blank for yourself!
Your picture may be featured on a slide during my TEDx talk. I also hope to feature all of the entries on my site sometime after the event.
Details And Submission Guidelines
WHAT TO DO NEXT: Submit a picture of yourself holding a sign that says, “I embrace Body Love because ____________” and fill in the blank for yourself.
- Make sure to use the words “I embrace Body Love” to keep the campaign consistent.
- Submit your photo by emailing me here. Your subject line should read “PHOTO SUBMISSION.”
- Note in the email where you live (city/town, state, country).
- Please attach as large a photo as possible.
DEADLINE: All photos are due by April 1, 2013 at midnight Eastern.
WHO CAN SUBMIT: Anyone who embraces the concept of Body Love. And by the way, that can mean that you’re still working on loving your body. I also want this to be as inclusive as possible, and I’m looking for people of all sizes, ages, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual identities, religious affiliations, etc. Everyone is welcome.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1) Only submit photos for which you own the rights.
2) By submitting your photo, you are granting Golda Poretsky and Body Love Wellness a license to use the photo as part of her/their TEDx talk, subsequent talks, blog posts and otherwise on her web site and social media.
3) Golda Poretsky and Body Love Wellness reserve the right to use and not use any of the photo submissions at her/their discretion.
4) By submitting your photo, you agree to these terms and conditions.
Golda is a certified holistic health counselor and founder of Body Love Wellness, a program designed for plus-sized women who are fed up with dieting and want support to stop obsessing about food and weight. To learn more about Golda and her work, click here.
(Listen to this post here, or subscribe on itunes.)